Let’s face it – nobody leaves the house thinking this is the day that I’m going to fall down in a store or on someone else’s property and severely injure themselves. But that’s just it. A slip and fall injury can occur anytime and anywhere. You could be at the grocery store, a hotel,
a mall, a parking lot or evenat work when you find yourself suddenly on the floor and injured. It’s understandable that you may be confused about what to do next but taking the right course of action is vital to preserving valuable legal rights. This is reason number one of why you need to contact an experienced Florida slip and fall attorney right away.
When you have qualified legal representation, your attorney will guide you through the entire claims process and keep you from making mistakes that would jeopardize your case.
4 Steps to Take Immediately After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Document the Accident Scene: Taking photos immediately after an accident is ideal. If you are seriously injured and unable to do so, do not further risk your health and safety. If you are with someone else or can have someone else document the accident scene, that would also be extremely beneficial. It is likely the scene of the accident will change quickly after your fall and having photos of what caused you to fall before the defect is removed might be critical to your claim.
- Report the Incident to the Manager or Property Owner: Report the slip and fall as soon as possible. It’s important to let owners or managers know what happened so there is proper documentation and so they can fix the problem and keep others from getting injured.
- See a Doctor Right Away: It’s critical that you get medical attention immediately because your health and safety are the number one priority. If there are serious injuries, call an ambulance and have them take you directly to the hospital. If you decide not to summon an ambulance, be sure to seek medical attention quickly to avoid your injury getting worse and to document the nature and extent of your injury.
- Contact a Florida Slip and Fall Injury Attorney: Your focus should be on recovery and getting back to work. Contacting an attorney early allows evidence to be preserved and allows you to focus on getting better and getting back to work. When you hire Weinstein & Cohen to represent you, our specialized team of premise liability lawyers will be there for you every step of the way. We’ll do the necessary work to gather evidence to support your claim and use our three decades of experience to maximize your compensation and outcome.
Key Mistakes to Avoid after a Slip and Fall Accident
Knowing what not to do after a slip and fall accident is just as important as what you do. Presenting the most persuasive and evidence filled case possible will determine your outcome because insurance adjusters and defense attorneys typically dispute fall claims. Some of the most common mistakes people make when faced with a slip and fall claim include:
- Not reporting the accident in a timely manner
- Failing to obtain contact information for key witnesses
- Forgetting to take photographs at the scene of what caused the fall
- Not seeking timely medical attention
- Giving an unprepared statement to the insurance company
- Signing a release before talking with an attorney
- Skipping needed doctor’s appointments or therapy visits
- Failing to immediately consult a qualified fall injury attorney
Our experienced Miami and Naples accident attorneys at Weinstein & Cohen will put your priorities first. If you or someone you care about has been injured or involved in an accident across South Florida or Southwest Florida, contact the accident lawyers and Miami and Naples personal injury attorneys at Weinstein & Cohen at 305-374-1011 or 239-793-3331, or visit fairnessforall.com for an absolutely free legal consultation to learn more about your options.